Anti-Human Trafficking Mental Health Counselor
Position Summary: The Anti-Human Trafficking Mental Health Counselor is responsible for providing trauma-informed crisis intervention and long-term treatment to support victims in leaving the trafficking situation and receiving needed services to promote optimum mental health. The Counselor may help individuals deal with addictions and substance abuse; suicide; stress management; problems with self-esteem; and issues associated with sex or labor trafficking, as outlined in the Office of Victims of Crime Advanced Collaborative Model to Combat Human Trafficking grant. This position may travel at times, in the 5 jurisdictions as services are needed. This is a full-time position and accountable directly to the Program Director.
- Support provision of emergency response and comprehensive care for domestic and foreign national victims of sex and/or labor trafficking, as referred to Samaritan House.
- Encourage victims/clients to express their feelings and discuss what is happening in their lives, and help them to develop insight into themselves and their relationships.
- Guide victims/clients in the development of skills and strategies for dealing with their problems.
- Counsel victims/clients, individually and in group sessions, to assist in overcoming dependencies, adjusting to life, and making changes.
- Ensure that the victim/client’s mental health needs are being met. Refer clients or family members to community resources or to specialists as necessary.
- May work closely with Case Manager’s to link clients to specific services if initiated by a written Release of Information and signed by the victim.
- May coordinate with local, state and federal law enforcement and other systems and organizations to support the victim in leaving the trafficking situation if initiated by a written Release of Information and signed by the victim.
- Prepare and maintain all required treatment records and reports.
- Maintain accurate and timely statistical records.
- Maintain strict confidentiality regarding all human trafficking victims.
- Participate in task force and coalition meetings as well as community collaboration groups and meetings and represent organization to others as needed.
- Assist with all required internal and external grant reporting including program output and outcome reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be a LPC or LCSW.
- Experience working with victims of human trafficking is preferred; experience working with victims of other traumatic crimes, such as domestic violence or sexual assault is required.
- Valid Virginia Driver’s License.
- CPR certified with adults and children within six months of hire.
- Knowledge of a treatment options for PTSD and other anxiety and mood disorders including panic attacks, obsessive compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and major depressive disorder.
- Knowledge of evidenced-based mental health treatment for victims of human trafficking, such as Cognitive Therapy, Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, Exposure Therapy, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, Stress Inoculation Training.
- Ability to develop and implement treatment plans based on clinical experience and knowledge.
- Skills in establishing non-victimizing rapport with victims.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with victims, staff and interagency professionals.
- Ability to work effectively in crisis situations, utilizing the teamwork model of practice.
- Ability to plan and manage own work activities and seek and use supervision effectively to increase skills and knowledge.
- Ability to represent agency in public speaking and in community coalitions.
Required Physical Skills
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle (car, truck, and/or van)
- Ability to walk, climb, and reach
- Ability to conduct and attend meetings
Please submit resume and job application to:
Director of Operations
Samaritan House, Inc.
2620 Southern Blvd.
Virginia Beach, VA 23452
757 631-0710 ext 253
757 631-0747 (fax) email@example.com
Please download and complete Job Application form here: Click for job application PDF
Samaritan House Inc, is a Equal Opportunity Employer