Samaritan House is currently hiring for a full-time Housing Locator to support our clients in securing housing throughout Hampton Roads.
The Housing Locator assists individuals and families transitioning from homelessness in the community or in emergency housing to affordable housing opportunities. The Housing Locator is responsible for identifying affordable housing and maintaining relationships with landlords and housing providers who will work with program participants that are eligible for re-housing services based on SPDAT scores.
- Meet with each individual or family matched for Housing NOW Rapid Rehousing Program and conduct interviews, housing counseling and prepare them for a housing search.
- Conduct an initial assessment and screening for financial and program eligibility as well as assessing individual and families’ housing barriers and needs.
- Work collaboratively with the housing providers to assist eligible residents in qualifying and moving to permanent affordable housing; assistance may include accessing rental assistance, deposit resources, completing inspections and environmental reviews.
- House individuals and families based on the needs and affordability of participants while coordinating these services with Housing Stabilization Case Managers.
- Provide weekly updates of housing search and placement information to Housing Supervisor on the Direct Services Team.
- Maintain a Housing Directory which should include documentation of all contacts made with landlords and housing providers. Includes dates and results of contact with provider and specific information about type of housing available.
- Research housing topics, organize, collect and distribute housing information for organizational staff and program participants.
- Develop knowledge of community resources, utilize advocacy skills and teach self-advocacy so individuals or families can expand their use of resources in the community as relates to housing services.
- Assist clients in mediating with lease compliance issues or disputes with landlords.
- Develop trainings and workshops for organization staff and program participants including communicating with landlords, tenant rights, fair housing and housing discrimination.
- Work directly with volunteers and student interns; assist with supervision, retention and appreciation efforts.
- Complete all required internal and external reporting accurately and on time.
- Participate in community collaboration groups and represent the organization to others as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services or related field and experience working with families in crisis.
- Valid Virginia Driver’s License
- CPR certified with adults and children within six months of hire
- Knowledge of and adherence to agency mission, policies and procedures, including Code of Conduct and mandatory reporting requirements.
- Knowledge of dynamics of domestic violence and homelessness.
- Knowledge of team model of practice.
- Knowledge of human development theory across the lifespan.
- Knowledge and application of group dynamics theory and practice.
- Knowledge of a wide range of models of practice in counseling and advocacy (feminist, humanist, empowerment models).
- Skills in establishing non-victimizing rapport with families.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with families, staff and interagency professionals.
- Skills in gathering, interpreting and compiling information about families and resources in the community.
- Skills in teaching adults and supervising volunteers.
- Ability to work effectively in crisis situations, utilizing the teamwork model of practice.
- Ability to plan and manage own work activities and seek and use supervision effectively to increase skills and knowledge.
- Ability to represent agency in public speaking and in community coalitions.
- Ability to maintain and keep records current and complete statistical reports in a timely manner.
Theresa Lindsey, Director of Operations
2620 Southern Blvd
Virginia Beach, VA 23452
757 631-0710, ext 253
757 631-0747 (fax)
Please complete Job Application at: THIS LINK
Samaritan House Inc, is an Equal Opportunity Employer