Position Summary: The Vocational Specialist will provide career guidance and counseling, training, job placement and volunteer opportunities to victims of violence in the community and in residence to promote self-sufficiency and independent living. This position will help survivors to understand their capabilities and interests and to set educational and career goals.
- Conduct face-to-face interviews with each client to evaluate skills, work history and personality.
- Identify strengths in relation to living, current skills, learning ability, work history, and social skills.
- Assist with resumé preparation or revision.
- Maintain client records and assist with reporting and correspondence.
- Coach clients for interviews or arrange for training to help them develop marketable skills.
- Provide follow-up services to clients in maintaining employment.
- Work collaboratively with the Anti-Human Trafficking and Direct Services team to best support the clients.
- Formulate relationships with existing job readiness service partners including but not limited to nonprofits, community colleges, and adult learning centers.
- Participate in the weekly Anti-Human Trafficking case review at the Samaritan House.
- Attend trainings on human trafficking, ethical/professional boundaries and practices, organization policies and procedures, etc.
- Use good judgement when interacting with clients knowing when to refer the client to their case manager or advocate.
- Explore the potential development of an in-house training program tailored to the specific vocational needs of victims of violence.
- Explore the potential development of a service enterprise tailored to the specific needs of victims of violence.
- Bachelor’s Degree in education, human services or related field.
- Experience working with victims of human trafficking is preferred. Experience working with victims of other traumatic crimes, such as domestic violence or sexual assault is required.
- Valid Virginia Driver’s License.
- CPR certified with adults and children within six months of hire.
- Knowledge of and adherence to agency mission, policies and procedures, including Code of Conduct and mandatory reporting requirements.
- Knowledge of dynamics of human trafficking.
- Knowledge of team model of practice.
- Skills in establishing non-victimizing rapport with victims.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with victims, staff and interagency professionals.
- Develop effective solutions to the problems today’s job seekers face.
- Apply critical thinking skills to the applications, theoretical perspectives and key concepts of organizational effectiveness on human behavior.
- Understand the concepts and complexity of sociocultural diversity.
- Ability to work effectively in crisis situations, utilizing the teamwork model of practice.
- Ability to plan and manage own work activities and seek and use supervision effectively to increase skills and knowledge.
- Ability to represent agency in public speaking and in community coalitions.
- Ability to maintain and keep records current and complete statistical reports in a timely manner.
Required Physical Skills:
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle; car, truck, and van
- Ability to use a computer and telephone
- Ability to walk, climb, and reach
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
- Ability to conduct and attend meetings
Salary: Based on experience and qualifications. This is a full-time position with benefits. Please submit resume and job application:
Director of Operations/HR
2620 Southern Blvd
Virginia Beach, VA 23452
Phone: 757 631-0710, ext. 253
Fax: 757 631-0747
Please download and complete Job Application Form at: THIS LINK
Samaritan House Inc, is an Equal Opportunity Employer