Call for Artists: Muralist needed for prominent wall at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront (21st St.) for Domestic Violence Awareness Month
Calling all local artists for submissions to create Virginia Beach’s newest mural for a great cause.
Background: October is Domestic Violence Awareness month, which is when Samaritan House works with local businesses to raise awareness about domestic violence through the Paint 757 Purple campaign.
George Kotarides, owner of Dough Boy’s Pizza, has donated this wall in support of this important cause as an extension of his support of Samaritan House’s mission through his restaurants.
This mural location is one of the most prominent walls in Virginia Beach, with millions of visitors and residents passing by it each year as they arrive at the Oceanfront resort area.
Strong, uplifting and unifying depiction to embody the theme “Love Shouldn’t Hurt” and reflect a community that is stronger when it is free of violence and hate.
- Must be purple-centric in color scheme. Artist is encouraged to utilize the spectrum of purple shades, blacks, whites, and greys.
- Both realistic and abstract designs are welcomed.
- Art should be positive, uplifting in theme, and approachable for all ages and belief systems.
- Completed design artist corner will include Samaritan House’s 24-hour Crisis Hotline number (757-430-2120) as part of the strategy to spread awareness of local resources available for individuals or families experiencing violence in Hampton Roads.
Location / The Wall: Yellow wall on 21st Street near corner (past Peabody’s on I-264 and adjacent to Bargain Beachwear), 2100 Atlantic Avenue in Oceanfront resort district of Virginia Beach.
The wall is approx. 70’ x 15’.
- Must be a locally-based Hampton Roads artist, or be from the region.
- Must be available to begin painting the week of October 13-19, 2019.
- Mural to be completed by October 31, 2019.
- Preferably an artist with outdoor mural experience.
Artist Compensation: $2000 (plus materials stipend)
- Deadline for submission: 10/7
- Winning artist will be notified: 10/10
- Painting to begin: 10/13-10/19
- Painting completed: 10/31
To Submit: Email an artist statement of interest, 3-4 examples of previous work (please include outdoor mural work completed), and a description/sketch of concept, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “SAMARITAN HOUSE MURAL” in the subject line.
MURAL SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES ARE AVAILABLE. Contact email@example.com to secure space on this prominent community art display for your business.
The completed 2018 Paint 757 Purple Mural was painted by Devon Miller (@etcha_sketch_dev) in the ViBe Creative District on the side of The Annex Collaborative Studio, with wall space donated by Superior Pawn. Thank you to our wonderful 2018 sponsors for making this possible: The Dragas Companies, Virginia Beach Jaycees, PNC Bank, Maersk Line Limited, Magellan Complete Care, AMG National Trust Bank, and Casone Enterprises.
2018 Samaritan House Mural in the News:
Find us on the ViBe Creative District Mural Map here: http://vibecreativedistrict.org/public-art/