Background: October is Domestic Violence Awareness month, which is when Samaritan House works with local businesses to raise awareness about domestic violence through the Paint 757 Purple campaign.
Megan Hogan, owner of The Annex, and Amy Longacher owner of Superior Pawn have donated their wall in support of this important cause. Amy owns the property and Superior Pawn recently underwent several renovations to allow for two new businesses to open in their attached warehouse space.
Theme: Strong, empowered, determined woman as a tribute to honoring survivors of domestic violence. (Disclaimer: Samaritan House recognizes that violence impacts all people, male and female, young and old, rich and poor, all races and ethnicities. We serve men, women and children. Our efforts to end domestic violence in our community are multi-faceted and this is one portrayal that most accurately represents the majority of the clients we currently serve.)
- Must be purple-centric in color scheme. Artist is encouraged to utilize the spectrum of purple shades, blacks, whites, and greys.
- Art should be positive, female-centric in theme, and approachable for all ages and belief systems.
- Completed design artist corner will include the local Coordinated Crisis Response Hotline number (757-251-0144) as part of the strategy to spread awareness of local resources available for individuals or families experiencing violence in Hampton Roads.
Location / The Wall: The Annex Collaborative Studio’s east-facing wall.
529 Virginia Beach Blvd in the ViBe district of Virginia Beach.
The wall is 50’ x 15’.
- Must be a locally-based Hampton Roads artist, or be from the region.
- Must be available to begin painting the week of October 1, 2018.
- Mural must be completed by October 15, 2018.
- Preferably an artist with outdoor mural experience.
Budget: $1000, with materials provided.
- Deadline for submission: 9/12
- Winning artist will be notified: 9/17
- Painting to begin: 10/1
- Painting completed: 10/15
- Unveiling celebration: 10/17
To Submit: Email an artist statement of interest, 3- 5 examples of previous work (please include outdoor mural work completed), and a description/sketch of concept, to email@example.com. Please put MURAL in the subject line.