Job Opportunity: Intake Coordinator
The incumbent is primarily responsible for conducting crisis interviews with callers and walk-ins, screening requests for shelter and conducting intake assessments. He/she will respond to incoming crisis calls and will work closely with the Regional Crisis Services Supervisor to provide callers with services, information and referrals. There may be times the incumbent will need to visit emergency houses to ensure safety and compliance with rights and responsibilities. Incumbent’s daily schedule is dependent on the needs of emergency hotline, emergency housing clients, and other agency needs. He/she will be responsible for responding to emergencies, intakes, and the documentation of such during the entire duration of the shift.
- Screen all requests for shelter or assistance, conduct intake assessments, assign residents to shelter, conduct crisis interviews with callers as needed, secure transportation and placement for callers who are in immediate danger and provide information and referrals as appropriate.
- Complete all necessary paperwork in response to calls, document interventions, complete appropriate referrals to Case Managers, Victim Advocates and complete statistical information.
- Accompany and orient new shelter residents to their designated shelter.
- May be required to respond to crisis events as they arise at the shelters. Inform supervisory back-up staff and Case Manager of all emergency situations in shelter as soon as possible.
- Be located on-site (main office) or at one of the emergency shelters during the hours of shift.
- Follow policy and procedures for placement of families/individuals in immediate danger when shelters are full.
- Work directly with volunteers and student interns; assist with supervision, retention and appreciation efforts.
- Perform all procedures related to communication across shifts, documentation, record keeping, and reporting.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Requires a minimum of a B.A. or B.S. social work, counseling, criminal justice, or other related disciplines
- Working knowledge of issues as they relate to domestic violence and homelessness.
- At least two years’ experience in crisis intervention work with victim of domestic violence and homelessness.
- Valid Virginia Driver’s License.
- CPR certified with adults and children within six months of hire.
- Must pass criminal background check.
- Knowledge of and adherence to agency mission, policies and procedures, including Code of Conduct and mandatory reporting requirements.
- Basic computer literacy/windows: Word, Excel, and Outlook etc.
- Experience with high-paced multitasking and organizational skills
- Versed in the dynamics of domestic violence and current teachings on power and control as it relates to domestic violence literature
- Knowledgeable of the symptoms of post-traumatic stress as they relate to domestic abuse or sexual assault
- Versed in the principles of empowerment and able to demonstrate this in all interactions with clients, volunteers and staff
- Knowledgeable of the legal rights of victims of domestic abuse and sexual assault and how to assist clients in accessing the legal system
- Ability to demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, second language is preferred
- Ability to teach/train adults
- Ability to work within a team model of service delivery
- Ability to use a telephone and a computer
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and make sound decisions.
- Maintain a reasonably clear driving record
- Ability to maintain a current CPR certification
Required Physical Skills:
- Incumbent should be able to work at least a 40-hour a week schedule with no physical limitations in normal ranges of sitting, standing, walking, talking, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle, a car, truck and/or van
- Ability to conduct and participate in meetings at various locations
Salary: Based on experience and qualifications. This is a full-time position with benefits. The work schedule for this position – 12pm-8pm.
Samaritan House Inc, is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please Start Your Application Process Here: