Domestic violence permeates all of our circles. It’s the one thing that isn’t ‘safe’ to talk about with even our closest friends and confidants. But talking about it is what we need to do to remove the shameful stigma and open the door for change.
So many of you have asked what else can you do to help aside from your generous donations. With this regular communication I’m hoping we’ll provide you with the information you need to go out and tell our story. Samaritan House is a huge organization. Too many people think we are just a small women’s shelter, when in truth we have 11 houses and last year alone served over 400 families shattered by violence. Too many think we only take care of abused women. Did you know we provided over 26,000 meals to more children last year than many of the largest children’s charities in Hampton Roads? Our story is huge and we need to tell it.
I am committed to getting as much information in your hands as possible throughout the year in this newsletter. Please use it to help tell our story and help recruit more leaders like yourself who will speak out against violence. Together we can beat it.
With great appreciation for you and your continued support.
Sarah Golden | Chair WAV
Who are the Women Against Violence (WAV)?
Women Against Violence, (WAV) is a select group of community leaders and professionals committed to supporting Samaritan House’s mission to stop violence; whether domestic, sexual or human trafficking.
Mission: To engage professional women through philanthropy, networking, service and fellowship for a common goal of ending domestic violence.
Мета: The purpose of Women against Violence (WAV) is to assist Samaritan House in educating the community about the resources and services offered through Samaritan House. WAV functions as a fundraising and volunteer service group.
- Encourage women to support Samaritan House through philanthropy.
- Inspire women to serve as leaders in the community acting as a voice for Samaritan House.
- Start a movement that challenges domestic violence stereotypes and increases public awareness.
- Mentor young women professionals to engage and give through acts of service.
- 1 з 3 жінок і 1 з 4 чоловіків стали жертвами тяжкого фізичного насильства з боку інтимного партнера.
- 41% of HOMICIDES in Virginia are related to intimate partner violence
- 75% of abused women try to commit suicide
- Every 30 seconds someone is the victim of human trafficking in the U.S.
- Slavery was abolished 150 years ago, yet there are more people in slavery today than any other time in our history.
- Last year the trafficking industry generated $32 billion…More than Nike, Google and Starbuck’s COMBINED.
- The impact on children is devastating – children witnessing violence are twice as likely to be abusers and or victims of domestic violence
Click here to download our latest newsletter: WAV Newsletter Vol.1