April is Child Abuse Prevention month (CAP). In recognition of CAP, Samaritan House is partnering with members of the Hampton Roads business community who are interested in making a difference in the lives of children affected by violence, by building awareness and funds.
Samaritan House provides emergency shelter and comprehensive support services to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and human trafficking in Hampton Roads. Sadly, over half our victims are children. The statistics surrounding child abuse are sobering. Children witnessing violence are twice as likely to be abusers and/or victims of domestic violence.
Did You Know?
- 6 times more likely to commit suicide;
- 24 times more likely to be sexually assaulted;
- 60 times more likely to be involved in delinquent behavior;
- Children witnessing violence are twice as likely to be abusers and/or victims of domestic violence;
- 2.9 million cases of child abuse are reported every year in the United States
- Approximately five children die every day because of child abuse
- 1 out of 3 girls and 1 out of 5 boys will be sexually abused before they reach age 18;
How Samaritan House Helps
- Our children's program supports the needs of children exposed to abuse. We provide therapeutic services such as art and play therapy, family counseling, and academic support.
- In 2019, 226 children were served through Samaritan House's Children's Center of Excellence program.
Child Abuse Prevention Month 2021 Participating Businesses:
During the month of April, you're invited to visit the participating businesses listed below for special offers designed to support Samaritan House.
- Nutrition Corners (Four locations in Hampton Roads)
- Modern Salon, 232 Central Park Ave., Virginia Beach, VA 23462
- XO Hair Lab, 1036 Volvo Parkway, Chesapeake, VA 23320
- Twisted Scissors Hair Studio, 4540 Princess Anne Road, Virginia Beach, VA, 23462
- Strange Insurance, State Farm Insurance, 4221 Pleasant Valley Road, Ste 108, Virginia Beach, VA 23464
How to Get Involved
We invite you to join our campaign and it’s easy for you and your staff to get involved. We have developed several creative ways to get involved. Your businesses support is critical to ensure the most vulnerable in our community receive needed support.
- Become a sponsor of this event and receive year-round benefits such as year-round logo visibility, a commercial and on-air recognition spot in our upcoming telethon airing in June 5 on Channel 3.
- Engage your retail customers in a ‘round up’ campaign through your current POS system.
- Pledge a set predetermined donation on every sale or closing, i.e. a car dealership or realtor donating a set amount for every sale closed during the month of April.
- Get creative and engage your staff in a peer-to-peer fundraiser during the month of April.
- Engage your customers with posters, donation cards pledging to support children and display a donation box at your place of business.
- Encourage your staff to purchase our limited-edition CAP merchandise and plan on wearing on a specific day in April. Post to social media for more brand visibility.
We will provide all materials and support needed for your team to make this a successful campaign.
Email Kate Celius, for more information and to get started!
You may make a donation online HERE or simply text "SAM" to 50155 to donate with your smart phone.